Goal: The girls assess what they earned during their observational visit, and their reasons for caring about air. They use their insights to make a team decision on an ALERT project and begin planning it together.
Supplies and Resources
- Breathe Cadette Girl Scout Journey book
- Markers, pens
- Paper, glue, scissors, and tape
- AWARE awards, enough for each girl
- A copy of the Vision Statement certificate from page 66 of the adult guide
- Healthy snack
As the girls arrive:
- Invite the girls to volunteer to help out with various parts of the meeting.
Opening Ceremony: Earning AWARE
- Begin with a ceremony of the girls’ choice.
- If they have completed all the requirements for their AWARE awards, they can also have a special ceremony to receive their awards.
Discussion: Observing the Observations
- The girls will discuss their observations from the field exploration. Use the prompts on page 63 of the adult guide to get the discussion going.
Choosing an ALERT
- You group will now decide on their ALERT project. Use pages 64 to 66 of the adult guide to help the girls decide what kind of project to do.
- Invite the girls to fill out the certificate on page 66 of the adult guide with the Vision Statement for their ALERT project.
- Discuss the topics listed on page 67 of the adult guide with the girls so that they can make any necessary decisions before the next meeting.
- Use page 67 in the adult guide to help the girls think about animals.
Closing Ceremony: Flair Awards
- Refer to page 67 of the adult guide for more information about this ceremony.