Goal: Girls engage in hands-on science experiments to gain awareness of wonders of air. They use their increased awareness to team up and develop an observational tool to work with at their next gathering.
Supplies and Resources
- Breathe Cadette Girl Scout Journey book
- Markers, pens,
- Paper, glue, scissors, and tape
- AIRY Science experiment materials, see pages 50-55 of the adult guide
- Healthy snack
As the girls arrive:
- Invite the girls to help set up the AIRY Science stations.
- If the girls have a ceremony in mind, let them lead their chosen opening ceremony.
- If they have not planned an opening ceremony, discuss their Breathe mission statement and how the girls are becoming more AWARE about air. See page 50 of the adult guide for more information.
- Lead the girls in a discussion about the relaxation techniques they have learned so far using the prompts on page 50 of the adult guide.
Activity: AIRY Science
- Guide the girls through their experiment stations using the information on pages 50 to 55. You might make copies of the experiments and pass them out before the meeting.
- End this meeting with a ceremony of the girls’ choice.
Take Home Activity
Invite the girls to read the stories in their books about real women working for change. They will choose one of the women featured in their book, or another woman who had made an important contribution to the environment and gather information about her.