Goal: Girls examine how scents in the air make them feel, and explore relaxation and breathing techniques. They begin to think about “yucky stuff” in their air and how it affects them and Earth. As the session ends, girls work together to plan for “airy science” at the next gathering.
Supplies and Resources
- Breathe Cadette Girl Scout Journey book
- Markers, pens
- Paper, glue, scissors, and tape
- Samples of various scents, see the list on page 43 of the adult guide
- Healthy snack
Meeting Note -
This meeting or the next would be excellent opportunities to invite a guest to speak to your group. Invite a yoga or Pilates teacher to visit your troop or group meeting to share their knowledge of deep breathing and relaxation techniques with the group.
As the girls arrive:
- Find out which girls would like to be assistants during the meeting and let them know what they will be doing.
- Begin the meeting with one of the opening ceremonies the girls have previously chosen, or refer to page 42 of the adult guide for recommendations of opening ceremonies to use.
Discussion: Tuning In
- Use this time to discuss the results of the girls’ commitments to tune in. You might have them switch and select different commitments to focus on for the next meeting.
- The girls will move through scent stations and write down the feelings that come to mind when they experience various scents. This list can be found on page 43 of the adult guide for suggestions, or come up with a few scents of your own.
- Refer to the questions on page 43 of the adult guide for discussion topics to be used in guiding the conversation about scents.
- End this meeting with a closing ceremony of the girls’ choice.