Goal: The Juniors explore what beauty means to them, how they see it themselves, and how it informs their story.
SUPPLIES AND RESOURCES
- Girls Scout Junior Adult Guide
- Girls Scout Junior aMUSE (Girls Book)
- Art books offering a range of images
- Pad of stick notes
- Chalkboard, whiteboard or large sheets of paper
- Writing implements
- Art supplies (color pencils, paints, paper, construction paper, bits of fabric, foil, wrapping paper, buttons, found objects)
- Healthy Snack
Opening Ceremony: Me and You
- Ask one girl to start off by naming something she likes about herself and then asking the girl next to her “what do you like about yourself?”
- The girls should continue around the circle numerous times
Defining Real Beauty
- Remind the girl that they have just told a story to an audience about the importance of steering clear of stereotypes and not letting someone else’s ideas limit what women and girls can do.
- Now it is time to explore their own thoughts and feelings about beauty and the importance of not getting”typed” into someone else’s definition of beauty.
- For more information refer to page 79 of the Adult Guide.
- Follow script on page 80 of the Adult Guide.
- Snack Time!!