Goal: Girls team up and carry out their efforts to have a positive impact on the food network, en route to earning their harvest awards.
Supplies and Resources
- Sow What? Senior Girl Scout Journey Book
- Completed Harvest Planner
- Art supplies for “So What If…” activity
- Any items needed for the “Monoculture, Anyone?” activity, as decided by the girls in the previous meeting
- Copy of the career roles slips on page 87 of the adult guide
- Scissors, pencils or pens
As the girls arrive:
- Invite one of the girls to cut apart the career roles slips of paper.
Opening Ceremony: Impact Circle
- In a circle, invite the girls to provide a response to one of the statements on page 85 of the adult guide. They might want to add their responses to their team collage.
So What If… Career Possibilities
- Invite the girls to choose a slip of paper and try on the career role they choose for the rest of the day. Refer to pages 85 and 86 of the adult guide for prompts that can be used to help the girls create a story about their life with the career role they picked.
- Invite the girls to read pages 47-51 of their book to learn about biodiversity. Use the dialogue on page 88 of the adult guide to encourage discussion about biodiversity and monoculture.
- Discuss what the girls learned in Session 3 about healthy relationships. Use the questions on page 89 of the adult guide to discuss relationships.
Create a Food Ceremony or Festival
- Invite the girls to look at pages 36 and 37 of their books, and then use page 39 to create a special way to honor their favorite food. Refer to page 89 of the adult guide for more information about this activity.
- You might have the girls vote on their favorite idea and then use it to celebrate the completion of their Harvest Project.
- End this meeting with a ceremony of the girls’ choice. See page 41 for closing ceremony suggestions.