Goal: Girls become aware of their place in the global food network as they start to think about where food really comes from and how their choices about food impact Planet Earth. They begin to customize their Sow What? journey in order to truly make a difference.
Supplies and Resources
- Sow What? Senior Girl Scout Journey Book
- Markers, pens, paper, glue, scissors, and tape
- Healthy snack
- If you choose to have each girl bring her favorite food to this meeting, be sure to let the girls know ahead of time. If you would not like to have them bring the actual foods, encourage them to bring pictures of or labels from their favorite foods to share with the group.
Opening Ceremony: Food Favorites
- Invite each girl to share her favorite food with the group. She can explain why she likes it, where she usually gets it, or anything else she finds interesting about it. If the girls brought food, have a feast!
Activity: The Real Food Network
- Invite the girls to choose a food and explore where it comes from. See pages 35 and 36 of the adult guide for more information about this activity.
- As a group, look at “the Food Print of a Burger” on pages 16 and 17 of the Journey book to provide an example of what a food print is.
- Refer to the chart on page 37 of the adult guide to help the girls explore where their food comes from, and then analyze the food print of each item. Use the instructions and questions on pages 37 and 38 to guide the girls in a discussion about the food print their favorite foods leave behind.
- End this meeting with a ceremony of the girls’ choice. See page 41 for closing ceremony suggestions.