Goal: Cadettes explore the noises people routinely send through the air, and then experience the sound of silence as a team. They begin to think about the Earth sounds they love and how what they value can influence how they choose to care for Earth’s air.
Supplies and Resources
- Breathe Cadette Girl Scout Journey book
- Markers, pens,
- Paper, glue, scissors, and tape
- Noise making devices, listed on page 34 of the adult guide
- Challenge slips for the team challenges, listed on page 37 of the adult guide
- Sound from nature, examples can be found on page 38 of the adult guide
- Copies of the “My Commitment to Tune In” certificate on page 40 of the adult guide, one for each girl
- Healthy snack
As the girls arrive:
- Explain the “Symphony of Noise” activity to a few of the girls who arrive early and invite them to lead the activity.
- Prepare the “Above the Noise” team challenge slips.
Opening Ceremony: Talking About Noise
- Begin the meeting with a discussion about the things that create noise in everyday life.
Activity: Symphony of Noise
- Refer to pages 36 & 37 of the adult guide for instructions to lead, or have the girls lead, this activity.
Discussion: Weighing in on Noise and Silence
- Start a conversation with your group about noise and the value of silence. Refer to page 37 of the adult guide for questions to guide the group discussion.
- If you have a large group, it might be helpful to split the girls into smaller groups and when you come back together have each group report on what they came up with.
Discussion: Imagining the Sounds of Earth
- Use a sound from nature to begin a conversation about sounds in nature.
- Have a conversation with the girls about the topics listed on page 39 of the adult guide. It is important for girls of this age level to have input and make the decisions on their Journey, as well as making decisions for how the meetings will run.
Closing Ceremony: Tuning In Pass out, or invite one of the girls to pass out, the “My Commitment to Tune In” certificate on page 40 of the adult guide. Discuss making the commitment and give the girls time to think about their commitments and fill their papers out.Goal: Cadettes explore the noises people routinely send through the air, and then experience the sound of silence as a team. They begin to think about the Earth sounds they love and how what they value can influence how they choose to care for Earth’s air.