Meeting 6: WOW! LEADERSHIP Award (2 Hours)
Goal- The girls will culminate their Wow! Journey by identifying and showing proof of their powerful message and change they have brought to their community.
• Copies of the WOW! Girl’s Book
• WOW! Leader’s Guide
• WOW! Map
• Pens or pencils
• Copy of the Girl Scout Promise and Law poster size
• Make a poster with a photo or drawing of the 4 Journey Awards
• Write ups for each award that a girl (or girls) will read to the guests
• Copies of the Pledge (1 per girl-found on inside back cover of Leader’s Guide)
• All four Awards (one per girl of all 4)
• Refreshments that you discussed with the girls in Session 5
• Extra Stuffed animals for those who might have forgotten theirs
1. Introduction-Gather the girls in a Share Circle.
a. Congratulate them again on a job well done. Ask them what they liked best about their plan. Was their message delivered?
b. How? (what proof did they see?)
2. WOW! Celebration Preparation- Have the girls complete pages 107-108 in their Girl Books to review their Journey accomplishments.
a. Display the WOW! Map and review with the girls all the parts of the map. Ask them to explain their contributions to the map to their guests when they arrive.
b. Have all the girls recite the Girl Scout Promise and Law. Afterwards ask them which part of the Promise and/or Law did they fulfill during the Journey? This will be practice as they will do this again with their guests.
c. Either select 4 girls or put all the girls into 4 groups.
i. Assign each an Award that they will explain and point to the picture for the guests.
d. While standing in a Share Circle, have the girls hold their stuffed animals.
i. Each girl in turn will share her animal’s name, why it is important to her and how her animal uses water to survive. They will share this with their guests.
ii. Have the girls practice reading their pledge out loud. They will share this with their guests.
3. Guests Arrival-
a. The girls should greet their guests and show and explain their part of the WOW! Map to them.
b. Have the girls stand in front of the guests. You might want to have a flag ceremony or just a pledge of allegiance.
c. Have all the girls recite the Girl Scout Promise and Law.
i. Afterwards ask them which part of the Promise and/or Law did they fulfill during the Journey? Give every girl a chance to share.
d. While standing in front of the guests, have the girls hold their stuffed animals.
i. Each girl in turn will share her animal’s name, why it is important to her and how her animal uses water to survive.
ii. They can also explain what people should do to protect these waters so animals can survive in them.
e. The girls or groups of girls will present the Awards and explain and point to each as practiced.
f. The girls will read their pledge out loud as a group.
g. Present the girls with their FOUR Leadership Journey Awards.
4. Refreshments-Invite guests to share in refreshments.
5. Closing-Invite the guests to join the Share Circle. Do the friendship squeeze with all.