Meeting 7: In the Land of Milk and Cheese
Goal: The girls take the flower friends story to a personal level by learning about how foods can affect how they feel and by tasting foods from their region.
Supplies and Resources:
- Paper and crayons or markers, enough for all girls
- Objects that represent different textures
- Brown Paper Bags
- Invite the girls to look over the team journey poster and make any additions from any of their recent activities.
Opening Ceremony: Choose a “Good Trip”
- Invite the girls to look over their luggage tags/bookmarks and choose their favorite way to say “Have a good trip!” Go around the circle and let each girl name her favorite way to say “Have a good trip!”
Activity and Snack Time: Celebrating Local Foods
- For this activity, it would be especially beneficial to invite a guest to speak to the girls about local foods and what is made in your region. The special guest could be a farmer, produce manager from a local supermarket, or even someone from the farmer’s market. This would also be a good opportunity to utilize your 4H Extension office to learn more about local farming. Also, for those of you with access to Health Food Markets such as Trader Joes or Whole Foods, you may be able to fit a field trip in here to learn more about local foods.
- If you are not able to locate a guest speaker, use the internet to find out what kinds of foods are grown or made in your area. Try to bring a large variety of these foods, such as cheeses, fruits, and veggies for the girls to try. Share any information you find out about these foods and how they are grown or made.
A Walk in Nature to Find Textures (p. 80-81)
- Before setting out on your nature walk, lead the Daisies in a discussion about textures using the dialogue on page 80 of the adult guide. Bring a variety of objects with different textures as examples for what they will be looking for outside.
- Make a list of different textures to take outside and use in finding different objects with these textures.
Activity: How did it feel to be outdoors?
- When you return from the nature walk, ask the girls “How did it feel to be out and about in the fresh air Between Earth and Sky
Closing Ceremony: My Favorite Outdoor Place (p. 81)
- In a Daisy Circle, ask the girls about their favorite outdoor places.