Apple Trefoil Crumb Squares
Yield: 20 Squares
- 1 1/2 Trefoils, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, separated into 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup.
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease and line a 9X13 pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Blend Trefoils in food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, salt and Trefoils.
- Work in butter and egg with your hands until pea-sized clumps form and virtually no loose flour remains.
- Press half of the mixture evenly into prepared pan.
- In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar and cornstarch.
- Squeeze any excess liquid from grated apples and mix then into sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Sprinkle apple mixture evenly over crust.
- Add oats to other half of dough and combine.
- Sprinkle over the apples
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Wait to cool and cut into squares.
Recipe via www.redomestication.com