Meeting 8: What Animals Tell Us
GOAL: Girls strengthen their communication skills as they progress on their Red Robin Project.
SUPPLIES AND RESOURCES
- Picture of a panda (page 89)
- Art materials (crayons and markers)
- Team Animal Mural
- 3 Brands of the same flavor yogurts (2 containers of each yogurt brand, one that will be concealed and one that will be displayed)
- A box or dark paper to conceal container
- Plastic spoons (3 for each girl)
- 3 identical bowls or cups in the same color Poster board
- Bookmark-size cardboard
- Colored paper or invitation banks
- Art materials
Opening Ceremony: Animals Around the World (Panda: Japan/China) (p.89)
- Gather girls in Daisy Circle and have each girl share one thing about animals and animal care that they’ve learned along this journey.
Animal Advertisers (p. 90)
- Inform the girls that they are about to participate in a blind taste test to learn about how packaging might make them want or not want certain things. Explain to Daisies that a blindtest is a way to taste things without knowing exactly what they are, so that you decide how much you like them based on taste only.
Creating the Red Robin Project: Using the Power of Animal Advertisers
- Refresh the girls’ memory on animal advertisers in the last meeting.
- Explain to the Daisies that advertisers use animals in their ads because many people, including children, find animals cute and appealing.
- Invite the girls to make posters, bookmarks, a simple handout, invitations, a mural they can cut up and share, or some other means to advertise their project or get an idea across about animal caring.
Practicing the Red Robin Project
- Let Daisies know that they will present they’re Red Robin Project during the next gathering to the audience they’ve chosen together.
- This time is allotted for a run-through to make sure each Daisy knows what she will say and do, beginning with the girl or girls presenting the “Animal Riddle Poem” icebreaker, and the girl announcer.
- Assist the girls with their lines from the script starter on page 81 in the Adult Guide.
Closing Ceremony: My Favorite Animal - Gather girls in Daisy Circle and have them each name a favorite animal and why they like this animal. Once everyone has had a turn, invite them to finish with a friendship squeeze.