Meeting 7: Inspired by Animals
Goal: Girls continue to explore how caring for animals resembles caring for themselves and begin to experience the good feelings that caring gives them.
SUPPLIES AND RESOURCES
- Pictures of a crane
- Art supplies (construction paper, markers, crayons, glue and assorted craft material)
- Team Animal Mural
- Origami paper or pieces of paper cut into squares (page 53 in Girls Book)
- CD player and music Large sheet of paper or poster board
- Art and craft materials
- Other props girls may decide on
Opening Ceremony: Animals Around the World (Crane: Japan) (p. 83)
- Share some fun facts about Japanese cranes.
Origami: Turning Paper into Art (p.84)
- Guide girls to pages 52-53 in their book and pass out pieces of origami or other square-shaped paper.
- While girls are working on their origami, you might want to tell them about Florence Temko, an origami expert who taught origami to the world.
Animal Riddle Poem (p. 85)
- Get the group of Daisies to create a short poem describing an animal, but without saying the animal’s name.
- Let the girls agree among themselves what animal to choose.
Preparing the Red Robin Project (p. 86)
- Use this time to let the girls prepare for their project.
Closing Ceremony: Sharing Our Knowledge (p. 87)
- Gather girls in Daisy Circle so they can each name something they’ve learned about animals from a family member, friend, teacher, or someone or something else…even a story!