Meeting 2: Caring that Counts
GOAL: Girls explore the many ways that caring for animals is like caring for themselves.
SUPPLIES AND RESOURCES
- Pictures of lions (one for each girl)
- Daisy flower friend/ Girl Scout Law poster
- Team Animal Mural
- Large sheet of paper
- Team Birdbath
- Paper Bags
- Decorating materials
- Art materials (paper, markers, crayons)
Opening Ceremony: Animals Around the World (Lion: Iran) (p. 37)
As Girls Arrive:
- Greet them and invite each girl to make a picture of her doing something that shows how she takes care of herself.
Animals Safe and Sound (with Guest Speaker)Animal Expert from community. This is a good place to utilize your friends and family network.
- Express the fun sides to taking care of animals, but highlight that can only be true if we know how to keep ourselves safe.
- Introduce the guest animal expert and inform them that she will tell them about her job.
- Complete the “Animals Safe and Sound” Chart (p. 39)
Get Creative: All About Me Nests (p. 41)
- Inform the girls that they will be making their nests and it will hold all the things they learn along this journey.
Closing Ceremony: Being Courageous and Strong (p. 42)
- Gather girls in circle and have them take turns naming one thing they learned about caring for animals from last meeting guest speaker.
- Encourage them to speak up and ask question and let them know they are acting courageously.